WHEN YOU THINK INVESTMENT, MAKE IT KENYA: WHY KENYA?
- Pool of Highly productive, skilled and youthful workforce;
- Favourable Tax Treaties and Investment Protection Agreements;
- Highly developed social and physical infrastructure;
- Repatriation of capital profits;
- Fully liberalized economy;
- Stable Macroeconomic Environment – supported by stable inflation rates;
- Preferential market access – EAC, COMESA-SADC, AGOA, EU, AfCFTA;
- Distribution hub and commercial powerhouse in East and Central Africa;
- Well established & Vocal private sector – KEPSA, KNCCI, KAM; and
- Stable Political Environment – Effective National Government and County Governments.
EIGHT (8) PRIORITY SECTORS OF INVESTMENT TO SPUR ECONOMIC GROWTH TOWARDS THE REALIZATION OF KENYA’S VISION 2030
- Agriculture - Coffee-value added and specialty; Tea-value added and specialty; Horticulture (Cut Flowers, Fruits (mangoes, avocadoes, passion fruit); Nuts- Macadamia and Cashew Nuts; Vegetables (Cabbages, carrots, assorted vegetables, French beans and snow peas; Herbs: (rosemary, dill, marjoram, basil, mint, parsley, coriander, curry leaves & celery and Spices (chilies thin, long, bullet & birds eye); and Pulses dry beans, kidney beans, white pea beans, green grams, cow peas, lentils and pigeon peas); Khat-Miraa; Sisal fibre and sisal fibre products; Pyrethrum Extract; and, Gum Arabic.
- Manufacturing - Food Beverages and Tobacco; Textile and Apparels; Leather and Footwear; Metal and Allied; Chemical and Allied Industries; Pharmaceutical and Medical Equipment; Plastics; Light Engineering; Furniture; and Motor vehicles, Parts and Accessories.
- Tourism - Hotels and Restaurants; Travel Agencies and Tour Operators’ services; and Tourist Guide services.
- Blue Economy- The fish and fisheries products sourced from the vast marine and inland water resources that the country is endowed with.
- Livestock Sector - Comprises: the dairy; beef; sheep and goats meat (muttons and chevons); piggery; camels for meat and dairy; the poultry industry and apiculture. Other emerging non-conventional livestock sub-sectors with export interests include donkey and rabbit production.
- Oil and Gas (Petroleum) - Upstream (exploration and production), Mid-stream (storage, refining, transportation, transformation processing into petrochemicals, fertilisers, textile and pharmaceuticals) and Downstream (supply and distribution).
- Mining Industry - the immediate target for mineral export development and promotion include: soda ash, fluorspar, titanium, gold, coal, manganese, iron ore, gypsum, diatomite, chromite, limestone, and silica sand.
- Business Services Sector Financial Services and Professional Services - all insurance and insurance-related services, and all banking and other financial services (excluding insurance). Computer and Related Services, Research and Development Services, Real Estate Services, Rental/ Leasing Services without Operators, and other Business Services.
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO INVESTING AND DOING BUSINESS IN KENYA
- Register Your Business: All company/business registrations are done via ecitizen.go.ke except for Limited Liability Partnerships which are done at the Registrar of companies or through a lawyer.
- Visit invest.go.ke and fill in the investment application form.
- Apply for Statutory Requirements:
- Tax PIN/VAT registration: Visit kra.go.ke ;
- Register with the National Social Security Fund (NSSF);
- Register with the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF);
- Acquire a Single/Unified Business Form from the relevant Local Authorities (County Government).
- Submit to KenInvest your application form with copies of;
- Certificate of Incorporation (for local company)
- Certificate of Compliance (for foreign company)
- Memorandum and Articles of Association (CR2, CR8, CR12).
- Issuance of Investment Certificate from KenInvest upon compliance with Health, Environment and Security requirements.
- KenInvest undertakes tracking services to ensure smooth project implementation once a company begins its operation.
- KenInvest undertakes After Care Services to pick out concerns.
SERVICES PROVIDED TO INVESTORS AT KENINVEST ONE-STOP-CENTRE (OSC)
KenInvest provides a wide range of pre-investment facilitation services. The One –Stop- Centre (OSC) has streamlined the overly complex processes. Some of the key functions currently facilitated by the OSC include:
- Power Connection
- Obtaining a Construction Permit
- Registration of Land
- EPZ or SEZ Set Up
- Obtain an Environment Permit
- Company Registration
- Tax/PIN Registration
- Obtaining a Work Permit
- Social Security Registration
- Obtaining import/ export permits
THINK INVESTMENT, MAKE IT KENYA